Era of autonomy
Grönhagen left to fight the Finnish War in 1808. The war ended in Sweden’s defeat, but Grönhagen’s career continued without interruption, now in the Russian army. In 1831, he became major of the honourable Finnish Guard’s Rifle Battalion, later know as Guard of Finland. Kauppila’s Pytinki was initially used as a training venue for the Officers.
Later during the autonomy, Kauppila moved from military to civilian hands, with new owners such as Wegelius, Carlstedt and Rosendahl, families from old Helsinki aristocracy. The current family became owners of the farm in 1885.
The newer main building, now known as the Traveller’s House, was built in 1898. Around the same time, a stone barn and most of the outdoor buildings were built. At the beginning of the 1900s, the farm included 25 crofts, and it was one of Ikaalinen’s largest farms.