Farm history

Kauppila is one of the oldest residual property units in Karttu village and Ikaalinen. It was mentioned in the very first land register in 1541. The old main building called Pytinki ("Building") was built in Ostrobothnian style by Major Gustaf Fredrik Grönhagen in 1792.

Grönhagen served in the Swedish army and fought in the Finnish War (where Russia gained Finland from Sweden). Later Grönhagen served as a major in the Russian army. In its early years, Pytinki was used for celebrations and officer training. After Grönhagen, Kauppila was owned by the prominent families of Wegelius, Carlstedt, and Rosendahl.

The family of Kauppila has owned the farm since 1885. The newer main building was finished in 1898, and it is now called Matkailutalo ("Traveller's House"). The stone cattle shed and almost all courtyard buildings were built at the same time. In the early 20th century, Kauppila was one of the largest farms in Ikaalinen with its 25 tenant farms.

Farm tourism was introduced in Kauppila in the early 20th century. The first paying summer guests took logdings in Pytinki. Among the guests were bishop Yrjö Loimaranta, professor Zachris Castren, the Strömmer family, and factory owner David Vaskinen with his family. They spent several months at Kauppila with their own staff.

One of Kauppila sons was called Kalle. Kalle received jäger training in Germany, and his old uniforms and a collection of material can now be seen in the Kauppila museum. During the Finnish civil war in 1918 Kauppila was used as a base. Kauppila was lucky to survive the war without any damage, as the battles of Ikaalinen took place both north and south of Kauppila and lake Kyrösjärvi.
Jäger Kalle Kauppila fought several battles in Pirkanmaa area, for example Kalevankangas, Tampere, Rajamäki, Tarpila, and Raivola.

The Finnish president Urho Kekkonen visited Kauppila in 1967.
Farm tourism in its present day form was introduced in 1988.
The Kauppila farm museum is open on request and can be booked for groups.